Monday, July 10, 2006

Simplify.

In preparation for my move to Hawaii, I have been paring down everything I own. I have already sold a number of large items, I have a dozen or so boxes filled with items to be sold at a yard sale, and I've put a ton of other things I own in storage. My room looks really funny and it first it felt wierd, but now I am starting to like it. I think I'll like it even better when the yard sale boxes are gone. I definitely had accumulated more stuff than any human being needs. Moreover, I'd accumulated more stuff than I really even wanted.

I was walking though Tyson's Corner Mall on Friday on the way to meet some friends for dinner. All the stores filled with things to buy - things that persuade us we might look better or prettier, things that will make our lives easier or more comfortable or more efficient. As it has been a while since I've been in a mall and I've been going through this paring-down, at first I felt disgusted by all the stuff everywhere and all the people buying everything, walking with two and three large shopping bags of new clothes, gadgets, housewares, etc. Then some adorable dress caught my eye. My mind rapidly changed gears and I wanted the dress. Somehow, just by looking at all the things in the windows, I became caught up in the shopping world and the promise of these tangible, material goods. Quickly, though, I remembered how good it has felt to pare down my belongings and how I want to keep it that way and most importantly, how I don't really need anything new at all.

There are so many wonderful things in life that don't come with a pricetag at all: the love of friends and family, music and harmony, sunsets, a walk in the woods, jumping into the ocean or a lake, fresh snowfall, and
all the gifts of nature.

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down
where we ought to be,
and when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained
to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
to turn, turn, will be our delight
till by turning, turning we come round right.

-Eighteenth Century Shaker Song

No comments: