Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Day One: Venturing Out and Quincy's "Hotel"

Its about 5am local time and I'm blogging. I would say I've still not recovered from the jetlag.

Anyway, my first day here was quite full. By the time I got back to my hotel last evening, I was ready for some serious sleep. I had started the day around 6am by heading out to find a grocery store. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning. Flowers and birds everywhere, the mountains in the distance, and a blue sky I haven't seen in a long long time. I found a grocery store and got a bunch of things to stock my kitchenette. Boy, they aren't kidding about the price of groceries here! I saw my first-ever $7 gallon of milk! As much as I love milk, I didn't buy any. Many of you may realize what a sacrifice with was for me. I'm sure I'll treat myself at some point, but considering my budget, I have to be really careful. What I did get a lot of was fresh fruits and vegetables. I can honestly say that I ate the best bananas of my life yesterday. WOW. Smaller than the ones I'm used to, but sweetness packed in.

After venturing out for groceries, I came back to the hotel and crashed for a few more hours. After lunch, I made the loooooong trek by foot and bus and foot again to see Quincy at the Animal Quarantine Station. He will be there until next Wednesday - the 23rd. He seems to be healthy, though the vets there were not able to give him a proper exam because he was "vicous"! That was actually written on his chart! I hung out with him for an hour or so, though he really didn't seem happy to see me. I think he is still mad at me for the plane trip. I spoke with the animal caretaker and the vet and they both said that cats are often moody for the first few days they arrive. Hopefully Quincy will mellow out. He was gladly eating treats out of my hand one minute, but then hissing and growling at me trying to gently pet him the next. Anyway, If you'd like to see Quincy's accommodations, visit my photo album of the outing.

I promise I will take pictures of other stuff today. Honestly, the main reason I didn't take more pictures of the scenery is that it is so beautiful pictures just wouldn't do it justice. As I was walking down the main street of Waikiki yesterday looking for breakfast and groceries, I was nearly in tears the place is so beautiful. Still, I'll take my camera out today and capture some stuff on film. :-)

No comments: